From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:55:35
1 Paul de Vrieze posted <200511221120.35372.pauldv@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:20:28 +0100:
3
4 > On Monday 21 November 2005 12:04, Duncan wrote:
5 >> * Set the base tag. I sometimes save web pages for my own use, and
6 >> like them to work when I do. Adding a <base href= ...> tag would be
7 >> very useful, here. Without it, saving just the HTML to disk breaks the
8 >> page rather drastically, because it can't find the CSS and images, as
9 >> they are relative links. Good to have the links relative; good the
10 >> formatting is separated from the content to the degree the page breaks
11 >> without the CSS; bad that there's no base href tag to "unbreak" things
12 >> when the html page gets viewed on its own.
13 >
14 > As the pages are generated from xml, this might be hard to do. Also
15 > isn't this something that should be done by the downloading program. I
16 > know that IE does (used to do) this. Wget can do something similar.
17
18 Hmm... I don't remember seeing that in IE back around the 4/5/5.5 era, and
19 as I was a public beta tester and a regular in the public beta groups for
20 those (and in line at midnite for '98, MS screwed up for me when they
21 incorporated the anti-privacy stuff into eXPrivacy... because while I
22 didn't have such a problem with it per se, I knew where it was headed,
23 once that sort of stuff was blessed by the kingpin -- to the era of
24 obiquitous spyware, and rootkits arriving on your CDs from "trusted"
25 compannies... so I went from in line at midnite for 98 to refusing to
26 cross the line MS was demanding I cross for eXPrivacy, and I have them to
27 thank for forcing me to finally defect from the land of proprietaryware,
28 to the land of freedom in software! =8^), I (like to think) I knew more
29 about what was in them than even many geeks.
30
31 I run Konqueror/KHTML, and obviously it isn't setting it, either. However,
32 I do run thru privoxy, and may be able to whip up a filter to add it...
33 I'll have to think a bit...
34
35 I've not gotten into wget, much more than being aware it's often used in
36 scripted applications including many I rely on here. Thanks for the
37 useful hint, however -- I'll keep it filed away as it seems likely to be
38 found to be useful at some point!
39
40 > In any case isn't the idea of downloading a page that you also download
41 > the images and stylesheets, etc. belonging to it. (firefox can also do
42 > this).
43
44 Well, depending on one's purpose... As I mentioned, I run privoxy. A
45 personal preference is light text on dark background, and one of my
46 biggest uses of privoxy is a set of filters designed to enforce that
47 (FWIW, I turned them off and reloaded the site, for purposes of this
48 thread). It follows that one of the primary reasons I may be using
49 view-source and save-as, is to check the code and create or update the
50 related privoxy filter expressions. For such purposes, I'll start with
51 the html page alone. Sometimes I need the css as well, sometimes that
52 only complicates things. However, if there's a base tag it's simple
53 enough to comment it out if I need to, while it's a bit more work to
54 figure out what that base should be manually, and add it, if necessary.
55
56 Another purpose for page-only would be if one wants to modify it somewhat
57 for local use, but that use is going to be with a net connection, and due
58 to content/format-rull separation with css, there's no need to have the
59 format rules locally.
60
61 Under normal circumstances I surf with images off, so those aren't an
62 issue, altho if scripting is required on a page (and it's somewhere I feel
63 reasonably secure turning it on) and the scripts are separate files as
64 well, those can sometimes be required.
65
66 Konqueror does of course have the "everything" aka "web archive" saving
67 feature as well, but I seldom use it. The only time in recent memory I've
68 used it was when I saved the world reaction to 9/11 pages, something I go
69 back and think about, every once in awhile. One brief moment, but of
70 course it didn't last, nor could it have.
75 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
76 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
80 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list