From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-apps is too big
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:21:09
1 On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 19:00 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > sys-storage: or move stuff to sys-fs?
4
5 If we go how sys-fs looks now, mdadm should go to sys-fs as well, as
6 raidtools, lvm, evms, etc are there already.
7
8 Also, some things are a bit vague, like hdparm might rather go to
9 sys-hardware.
10
11 A thought might be to move all these (except hdparm, etc), as well as
12 sys-fs to sys-storage rather. If we really go by sys-fs means to me at
13 least, it probably should only be the fsck's, and devfs/udev that stay
14 there if any.
15
16 > sys-network: or move stuff to net-*?
17
18 You might consider them more critical to get the system up, so more
19 system related?
20
21 > sys-hardware: other hardware related apps (maybe splittable further?)
22
23 I at least cannot think of 2/4 more meaningful categories for these, as
24 they are fairly diverse.
25
26 > Regarding sys-bsd... When the *bsd folks get their thing working, we're
27 > going to end up with a fair number of bsdish things in the tree. Since
28 > sys-apps is too frickin' huge, would sys-bsd make sense?
31 Like spb said - you cannot really group them, as what each contain is
32 very diverse, so I think it should be fine.
36 Martin Schlemmer
37 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
38 Cape Town, South Africa