From: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] !!!Really worried about ebuild updates!
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 07:13:10
1 Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 > Personally, I find it helpful if a user sends in a patch or updated
3 > ebuild (preferably a patch though) for the latest version, rather than
4 > just a "this is out-dated" message in bugzilla.
5
6 Ive sent in a couple of updated ebuilds. So far Ive been sending the complete thing. If a patch is preferred I can switch to sending patches, but as you said, its personal preference of the developer handling the 'bug'. Given that the bugs are assigned to different developers I have no way of knowing if the developer who gets my bug prefers diffs or complete new updated ebuild files.
7
8 Is there a consensus on what format is prefered by most developers?
9
10 In addition, I have always marked my updated ebuilds with a comment stating that I updated it, with my email address and the new revision (-rx) that I updated. (in the header, below the Author/Maintainer line). Is this correct, or should I not include that ?
11
12 Ive stumbled on a couple of ebuilds that need revising, not due to later versions of the software, but rather due to compile / install bugs or 'gotchya's etc. Im quite happy to submit them when I fix them. I also have a few more new package ebuilds in the works.
13
15 / \
16 \_.--._* <--- http://www.dreams.darker.net/~wylie/
17 v Mobile: +61-403-796-001 Ph: +61-2-9521-8677