From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Support Everywhere
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 21:30:11
1 On Tue, May 19, 2009 21:52, Dale wrote:
2 > Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hello,
7 >> This is a request for comments on a new project,
8 >> namely "Gentoo Support Everywhere".
9 >>
10 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gse/
13 >> The web page doesn't really explain all the background
14 >> needed to understand why would anyone want to start such a project.
15 >> However this forum thread might be more
16 >> clarifying:
19 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-762914.html
22 >> The initial aim is to provide some support to these lost souls
23 >> that wander around the LQ forums, and to create a Gentoo subforum at LQ
24 >> like many other distros do. However, eventually the support might be
25 >> extended to other places if there's a need and enough human power to do
26 >> so.
27 >>
28 >> Comments welcome, and thanks for reading.
33 > From my understanding, LQ doesn't have a Gentoo subforum because Gentoo
34 > already has its own forum. Why should Gentoo have two forums? I must also
35 > say the the Gentoo forum is more than adequate for help.
36
37 No, they don't have a Gentoo subforum because they ask for some
38 kind of semi-official support from the distro so it doesn't die
39 starved without responses within two weeks of being opened.
40
41 That's what this is about :)
42
43 This is not about having two forums or segregating
44 the support. This is *a reality*. People already post there.
45 We can choose to give some support or to ignore it. But that's
46 not going to change the fact that they *do post there*, it
47 doesn't matter if we like that or not. The universe is as it
48 is regardless of what we think that would be ideal.
49
50 I've been answering gentoo stuff in there for months now,
51 this project is only a backing so LQ can feel that we care about
52 that and give us a subforum. Which in turn will ease my job
53 supporting people there. Even if it's just to tell them
54 "I can't help, please, register at forums.gentoo.org and
55 ask there".
56
57 > Also, the link to your thread does not exist. I get "The topic or post
58 > you requested does not exist".
59
60 The project should be viewable. The forum post will only be
61 visible for mods, admins and devs I guess, and only when loged in·
62 There's nothing I can do about that.
65 Jesús Guerrero