From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 20:12:02
1 On Tuesday 03 May 2005 23:05, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 14:49 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 03 May 2005 12:10 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > I think an easier solution would be a portage rescue set of profiles.
5 > >
6 > > afaik the only thing it'd need is a 'make.defaults' and a custom
7 > > 'packages' (where we'd force a newer version of portage of course)
8 > >
9 > > i dont think we even need a set, we could just do it with one ... after
10 > > all, we can stick bash code into make.defaults and have it do something
11 > > ugly like run `uname` or parse make.defaults to figure out the correct
12 > > ARCH
13 >
14 > If you're feeling up to the bash-fu, I was trying to propose something
15 > simple, but this would probably be the best solution.
16 >
17 > So does anyone have any objections yet? ;]
18
19 What about adding a "panic" mode to portage which, when confronted with a
20 missing profile, (and after confirmation) continues to upgrade portage to the
21 latest version it can find with some default settings that should allways
22 work.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze