From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making a common sub-profile for no-multilib
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:12:26
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Long story short, doing anything to Gentoo profiles is utter pain
3 > and comes with random breakage guarantee. Therefore, I'm asking -- nuke
4 > those damn profiles, and start over! The current situation is
5 > completely unmaintainable.
6
7 ++
8
9 But, would it make sense to just go the Funtoo route with "mix-ins."
10 Basically instead of symlinking make.profile to a profile directory
11 they turn make.profile into an actual profile which just has a parent
12 that inherits all the real profiles, and eselect is designed to handle
13 it.
14
15 That would get rid of the 47 permutations in our current tree. It
16 would also reduce the barrier to adding more options, since it means
17 adding one subdir that only affects those who use/maintain it, and not
18 23 combinations that drive everybody mad.
19
20 Rich