From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Paul <set@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:17:26
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:09:17AM -0400, Paul wrote:
2 > Hi;
3 >
4 > A long while back, I asked if it was a requirement
5 > for ebuild submiters to assign copyright. I was told
6 > no, GPL license was entirely sufficient. I think this has
7 > changed, or was untrue.
8 > Now, Ive already given up on the submission
9 > process, but I _am_ curious about this policy, as I
10 > havent yet given up on Gentoo itself.
11 >
12 > Paul
13 > set@×××××.com
14
15 I would be very interested in hearing your issues with ebuild
16 submission, if you'd like to contact me privately about it.
17
18 With regards to copyrights, it's necessary for us to own copyright on
19 ebuilds in order to defend our intellectual property. If we (Gentoo
20 Technologies) don't own copyright on ebuilds (and other pieces of
21 Gentoo), we have no legal leg to stand on if someone (for example)
22 attempts to put a more restrictive license on that piece of intellectual
23 property.
24
25 In short: if we don't own copyright, we can't defend ourselves.
28 Jon Portnoy
29 avenj/irc.freenode.net
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list