From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 15:55:24
1 On 22/11/15 05:51, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:01:21 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> When I do QA in projects I'm involved with (at least outside of
7 >>> Gentoo), we don't do it live on end-user systems. I'll leave the
8 >>> details as an exercise for the Gentoo developer.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> People who run ~arch are not really end-users - they're contributors
12 >> who have volunteered to test packages.
13 >
14 > I strongly disagree with you. We do not use stable even at
15 > enterprise grade production systems and HPC setups. Stable is just
16 > too freaking old in order to be usable for our purposes, not to
17 > mention that it lacks many packages at all. We tried stable
18 > several times, it just freaks out admins (including myself) too
19 > badly or results in horrible mess of stable and unstable which is
20 > less stable that unstable setups. I do not use stable at
21 > workstations and personal setups as well.
22 >
23 > Nevertheless I consider stable useful as stabilization process
24 > gives more testing for packages (and some fixes are forward ported
25 > to unstable versions). Of course I understand that there are people
26 > using it and I try to support stable packages as well, but these
27 > versions are mostly a burden and I can't really understand stable
28 > users.
29
30 Is the state of stable really that bad? I see this sentiment a lot.
31
32 I run mostly-stable systems and rarely have an issue with old/missing
33 packages (but I'm involved in the maintenance of many of the packages I
34 use so I try to keep on top of stable requests).
35
36 Are there particular areas that are lagging particularly, or is it just
37 in general?