From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 01:46:05
1 On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 23:06:07 +0200
4 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Maybe this could be solved by having two kinds of revisions:
6 >> - One would rebuild all as usually (for example, -r1...)
7 >> - The other one would only regenerate VDB and wouldn't change the
8 >> installed files (for example, -r1.1)
9 >>
10 >> But I am not sure if it could be viable from a "technical" point of
11 >> view :(
12 >
13 > This in no way solves the problem. Consider the following course of
14 > events:
15 >
16 > User installs foo-1.1-r1
17 > Developer makes foo-1.1-r1.1
18 > foo-1.1* is removed from the tree
19 > User syncs
20
21 An updates-like mechanism would help here, since the updates could
22 persist longer.
23
24 Also, the user is probably going to end up uninstalling foo anyway or
25 updating it to a newer revision, which means that whatever was broken
26 with -r1 will tend to become a bit of a moot issue. Portage doesn't
27 really support hanging onto PVs that aren't in the tree all that well
28 to begin with.
29
30 Just a general comment not aimed at this particular part of the thread
31 - a solution doesn't have to be perfect to be useful. If we come up
32 with a good clean solution that avoids rebuilds in a half-dozen
33 specific circumstances and we agree to only use it in those
34 circumstances, there is no reason we can't use it, even if there is
35 some other circumstance that will still require a revbump. I'm
36 sensing in this thread that we're forcing ourselves to choose between
37 a hack that can be applied 100% of the time but which can break
38 randomly, or a hypothetical perfect solution that never breaks but
39 which will probably never exist either. A solution that works 80% of
40 the time and never breaks as long as it is properly applied is an
41 acceptable compromise.
42
43 Rich