From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in virtual/ffmpeg: ffmpeg-9.ebuild ChangeLog ffmpeg-0.10.2-r1.ebuild
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 14:12:22
1 On 08/02/13 22:46, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 22:41:04 +0100
3 > Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thursday 07 of February 2013 06:52:44 Peter Stuge wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
8 >>>> we as gentoo will provide both while preffered default will be
9 >>>> what major distros use.
10 >>>
11 >>> What kind of careless mainstream attitude is that? Really?
12 >>
13 >> Quite the opposite, decision to use implementation A over B was taken
14 >> with utmost care for user in mind.
15 >
16 > Not really. I was promised a discussion that hasn't happened yet.
17
18 I'm available for discussion anytime, I got a little busy in the past
19 days and I will busy the next 3 days, but I should be available today
20 evening or now.
21
22 I stated already what I think about the whole discussion in a blog post.
23
24 To summarize it my take is quite simple, Libav leads the way regarding
25 the main API, it offers a more compact surface for attacks if you are
26 really concerned about security and usually it is a little more compact
27 and a bit more tested over a wider range of architectures.
28
29 I'm not for removing ffmpeg overnight since there are features that
30 might be of use and I'm not so hypocrite to value diversity only when it
31 is in favor of my interests.
32
33 That said as long the two project are compatible having one or another
34 as default is just a matter of making our life easier.
35
36 I'm upstream for Libav and a good number of Libav developers are Gentoo
37 users, including Gentoo on special platforms (e.g. aarch64).
38
39 Few large projects such as VLC and Gstreamer switched to Libav as their
40 default.
41
42 Since Libav is the no-frills variant, notwithstanding the interesting
43 campaign of "we have more security11ein!" less stuff should break since
44 it is usually more tested and once we gather the samples triggering a
45 crash usually we do not stop preventing that single crash but the whole
46 class of possible defect (see my work on mov as an example).
47
48 I cannot and will not say that Libav is perfect or that no bugs are
49 introduced on our side and other outlandish statements, but within my
50 biased point of view I would expect a better experience for the user not
51 caring about which library to use.
52
53 If you want to discuss on #gentoo-media ping me within 30 min or in 2 hours.
54
55 I hope somebody not Libav nor FFmpeg committer could come up with a
56 pros-cons list.
57
58 lu