From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 12:43:37
1 On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > The thing is you would practically never have to do this. Users
3 > install apps that have a number of qt modules as dependencies. These
4 > qt modules in turn cannot be updated individually (unless there is an
5 > ebuild revision bump), but will be included in a world update as a
6 > group.
7
8 Beside the fact that yes, it happens sometimes that you want to
9 rebuild only one of them, and doing 'emerge gui' is nasty enough, what
10 about dbus?
11
12 emerge dbus -> which one did you mean now? Yes there's a category, but
13 that's not a good reason to artificially make it more complicated.
14
15 I'm pretty sure that if a consensus is to be found, it is that 'qt' as
16 a category name, and dropping the 'qt-' prefix, is not seen with
17 favour by other people beside you and whoever you discussed this with.
18 I would thus ask you to drop that idea.
19
20 Some of us, including me, are also wondering why a separate category
21 is needed — while you might be over the median, it doesn't mean it's
22 that much more compelling — indeed my feeling is that it would be an
23 useless small category, especially if you only want to keep the core
24 and it won't ever grow. But I won't stop you if it's going to be
25 qt-core/qt-core as package name.