From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:21:36
1 On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò
2 <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > Some of us, including me, are also wondering why a separate category
4 > is needed — while you might be over the median, it doesn't mean it's
5 > that much more compelling — indeed my feeling is that it would be an
6 > useless small category, especially if you only want to keep the core
7 > and it won't ever grow. But I won't stop you if it's going to be
8 > qt-core/qt-core as package name.
9
10 I tend to agree on leaving qt in the package names themselves for the
11 reasons that have been raised.
12
13 I'm not sure that the category "qt-core" makes sense though.
14
15 Maybe x11-qt, or dev-qt, or just qt, or qt-qt if we must have a hyphen
16 for its own sake and we're just making senseless stuff up. qt-core
17 just doesn't make sense if it applies to more than just qt-core.
18
19 If the reason for the hyphen is to have some kind of major/minor
20 category organization then it really makes sense to not create a new
21 major category just for qt since we'll only have one category for it.
22 x11-qt or dev-qt are probably the best fits with what is there now.
23 If we want to create a new major category then maybe some kind of
24 general category for large development toolkits would make sense, but
25 I just don't see the demand.
26
27 I do support the idea of a new category for qt though, if they really
28 are going to have upwards of 40 packages. That would put x11-libs up
29 to 180 packages, and qt would be 20% of them.
30
31 Rich