From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 05:46:18
1 On 25 February 2016 at 18:03, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Which I am (running from the git repo), and that ability to (as a user,
3 > easily) actually track all that extra data was one of my own biggest
4 > reasons for so looking forward to the git switch for so long, and is now
5 > one of the biggest reason's I'm a /huge/ supporter of the new git repo,
6 > in spite of the time it took and the imperfections it still has.
9 I'm considering bolting together some Perl that would allow you to run
10 a small HTTP service rooted in a git repo dir, and would then generate
11 given changes files on demand and then cache their results somehow.
14 Then you could have a "Live changes as a service" where interested
15 parties could simply do:
16
17 curl http://thing.gentoo.org/changes/dev-lang/perl
18
19 and get a changelog spewed out instead of burdening the rsync server
20 with generating them for every sync.
21
22 That way the aggregate CPU Load would be grossly reduced because the
23 sync server wouldn't have to spend time generating changes for every
24 update/update window, and it wouldn't have to be full-tree aware.
25
26 But thinking about it makes me go "eeeh, thats a lot of effort really"
29 Kent
30
31 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL