From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: qa last rites -- long list
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 22:31:37
1 Dnia 2015-01-08, o godz. 10:45:33
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > El mié, 07-01-2015 a las 19:19 -0500, Jonathan Callen escribió:
5 > [...]
6 > > The only reason there is a security issue with nethack (and other
7 > > games like it) on Gentoo, and only on Gentoo, is that the games team
8 > > policy requires that all games have permissions 0750, with group
9 > > "games", and all users that should be allowed to run games be in the
10 > > "games" group. Nethack expects that it have permissions 2755 (or
11 > > 2711), with group "games" and that *no* users are members of that
12 > > group, so it can securely save files that are accessible to all users
13 > > during gameplay ("bones" files) and ensure that the user cannot
14 > > access/change their current save file. These two expectations are
15 > > incompatible with each other, and end up creating a security issue
16 > > that upstream would never expect (as no users can be in the "games"
17 > > group traditionally).
21 > If I don't misremember Council allowed finally people to not be mandated
22 > by that "games team" policies and, then, I guess that could finally
23 > allow to drop that security issue no? :/
24
25 If it were that simple... but we need to clean up that long-outstanding
26 mess. And we have no guarantees someone won't bring it back to us since
27 the eclasses are still allowed to be used.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny