From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:51:31
1 On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 16:07 +0200, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 08:06 -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
4 > >>>> Would like the Council to discuss the current state of Gentoo Bugzilla
5 > >>>> [1] and anon CVS/SVN [2].
6 > >>> Please elaborate why you need the council to discuss
7 > >>> ongoing active bugs that are in progress.
8 >
9 > Progress? Erm... see below.
10 >
11 > >> I would also like to know why the council has to be involved since
12 > >> you've never sent an email to infra specifically asking the same thing
13 > >> first. Sure makes sense to me that you should ask the group involved
14 > >> with the work first instead of going to the top.
15 >
16 > Because it's been broken for ages? Because I've asked the same on the
17 > bug I've referred to multiple times, as did quite a few other people,
18 > and the thing is still dead ~3 hours a day? (So uhm, the argument that
19 > infra doesn't know about is _really_ moot.) Because users complain over
20 > and over again? Because we are getting tons of duplicate bugs due to
21 > bugzilla being non-responsive?
22
23 Ok this is basically bitching. Trust me we all know the current state
24 of things with bugzilla and it's not fun for anybody. I'm sure
25 however if you practice a little patience I'm sure you will be
26 quite pleased with the end result.
27
28 > Because it's wasting hours of my time
29 > every day? Because if CVS was in the same state, you'd about have a
30 > revolution by now?
31
32 I think you might be misunderstanding the role that the council plays.
33 It's a body for technical matters that effect the mainly "the code".
34 Daily matters of infrastructure are handled by our infra team naturally.
35 Funding for hardware is approved by the foundation.
36
37 > >> The anoncvs/svn stuff needs the attention of some knowledgeable cvs/svn
38 > >> guru. We want to ensure that we cover all our grounds in the setup so
39 > >> that we don't make a system that's easily DoS'able. If anyone wants to
40 > >> help out with that, please contact KingTaco as he's the contact for that
41 > >> project right now.
42 > >
43 > > It's just about ready afaik. We just want robbat2 to review the CVS
44 > > setup and I probably need to drop a patch in the cvs pkg to disable
45 > > compression. We probably also want Pylon to review the svn setup.
46 >
47 > Good news, would be nice if you actually responded on the bug maybe? Or
48 > send out some status report occasionally, since the bug's been open for
49 > ~1 year now?
50 >
51 > >> Patience is indeed a virtue.
52 > >
53 > > Indeed..
54 >
55 > Sorry, having a critical facility broken for ~6 months right now =!
56 > patience. It plain sucks.
57
58 You must live in that town where spare hardware and administrators
59 grow on the trees.
60
61 As it stands I do not see why this needs to be an agenda item for
62 council discussions.
65 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
66 Gentoo Linux
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list