From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: "Lazy" use flags?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 11:27:09
1 On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 1:36 AM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12 February 2016 at 18:56, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> So my USE="-* ..." (without letting portage do autounmasking) would
4 >> continue to work just like it does now, correct?
5 >
6 > I would hope so.
7
8 That would be my proposal.
9
10 > And obviously, this feature would be potentially
11 > tenous, and might be wise to only
12 > activate its mechanics with a parameter to emerge.
13 >,,,
14 > That way, people who do want the new behaviour can stick it in the
15 > default emerge options and \o/
16
17 Whether you call it a FEATURE or an option it would almost certainly
18 have to be defaulted.
19
20 If you run with that option for six months and then run emerge without
21 that option while using something like --newuse, it will immediately
22 detect a bazillion dependency conflicts and if using autounmask it
23 will want to add 1000 lines to your package.use - which would be the
24 same 1000 lines that many are running with today.
25
26 I think it would make more sense in general for this to be the default
27 and to have a flag to disable it, in part for this reason. It
28 wouldn't affect people running -* and such anyway, so this is targeted
29 mostly at users who don't care a great deal about micromanaging their
30 USE flags.
33 Rich