From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:52:14
1 Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 07.47, Jon Portnoy wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:26:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
5 >> > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 06.04, Jon Portnoy wrote:
6 >> > > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 05:02:32AM +0200, Tony Clark wrote:
7 >> > > > On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03.33, Daniel Robbins wrote:
8 >> > >
9 >> > > [snip]
10 >> > >
11 >> > > > 1. What is Gentoo 1.4. What it may have been intended to be in
12 >> > > > January is probably not what it is going to be now. Before you
13 >> > > > recruit all and sundry you have to define this as if it isn't defined
14 >> > > > everything will fall down and chaos will return. Some basic things I
15 >> > > > see is that it needs to be are: gcc3.3 based
16 >> > > > glibc2.3.2
17 >> > > > openssl0.9.7
18 >> > >
19 >> > > We can do this if you want to wait another couple of months.
20 >> > >
21 >> > > Unfortunately, there are some requests to have 1.4 ready for LWESF at
22 >> > > the beginning of Augusy
23 >> >
24 >> > This is just classical, happens everyday type stuff in
25 >> > electronics/software companies, espically ones who don't know what they
26 >> > are building with clear goals. Marketing keeps moving the requirements
27 >> > and dates aren't met. Some deadline finally gets set and a patch work
28 >> > job happens to meet THE DATE.
29 >>
30 >> We know what we're building and have clear goals. Those goals have been
31 >> specified on this list by Daniel in the past.
32 > past day, week, month, year? He has had about 4 posts here in the last 6
33 > months. Why isn't the QA guy demanding a list of packages to be included?
34 >>
35 >> With minor exceptions, _those goals are met_.
36 >
37 > What exceptions? Why the sudden panic then?
38 >>
39 >> However, you're now suggesting _entirely new_ goals that _do not fit_
40 >> with the schedule already in mind. Marketing is irrelevant - a few
41 >> people said "Do you think we'll be ready for LWESF?" and I said "Yes." I
42 >> intend to follow up on that, now that our goals are either met or about
43 >> to be met. There is no 'THE DATE' that we absolutely must adhere to.
44 >> Instead, I'm telling you that there is no technical way we can go with
45 >> gcc 3.3 and openssl 0.9.7 in stable keywords without waiting a
46 >> significantly long period of time while work is done in those areas.
47 > Now above you say there is a deadline and here you say there isn't. I can't
48 > see how you can say I am describing new goals when you can't point me to a
49 > document which states what the current goals are. There is no QA as noone
50 > can trace a specification pass back to a specified requirement. I've
51 > digressed into QA but thats actually what the total process should be about.
52 >
53 >> > > This is not viable. The tree is not gcc3.3-ready and OpenSSL 0.9.7
54 >> > > needs a much more mature upgrade path, otherwise there will be serious
55 >> > > breakage (you need to remerge wget without ssl support, then merge the
56 >> > > new openssl, then rebuild everything depending on it currently).
57 >> >
58 >> > The OpenSSL upgrade is really ready, it just that the whole tree needs a
59 >> > rebuild which is time consumming. You have to break the cycle sooner or
60 >> > later. Seems to me one solution is to release a binary version of 1.4
61 >> > build with the latest OpenSSL goes someway to ease that upgrade. Users
62 >> > can get a
63 >>
64 >> Certainly, new stage1 and stage2 installs would have no problem - they
65 >> haven't done an emerge system yet. A stage3 with openssl 0.9.7 would
66 >> have no problem. Existing users or people using old stage3s would be
67 >> screwed. We need a better upgrade path for that in order to avoid the
68 >> kind of "patch work job" you described earlier.
69 >>
70 >> With regards to 'breaking the cycle,' we need functionality in Portage
71 >> that either allows the ebuild to directly run revdep-rebuild or
72 >> incorporate revdep-rebuild into Portage (or preferably real reverse
73 >> dependencies, which will come in Portage 2.1 last I heard).
74 > Ok, now this is good. All that is needed is to write these points down and
75 > pretty soon you will end up with a requirement document that everyone can
76 > understand, identify where they can be of most use and a check list you can
77 > tick off when each thing is done. Now the project is managed! It really is
78 > simple but because it is tedious, for a good designer, it is somewhat boring.
81 >> > working basic system maybe with kde and gnome desktops then add or
82 >> > rebuild at their own pace. New takers have no problems as they are
83 >> > current. GCC is a slightly different problem but not as large. I guess
84 >> > it could be solved putting different versions of GCC in slots. Glibc is
85 >> > pretty well there and doesn't seem to have any problems that I have
86 >> > noticed.
87 >>
88 >> SLOTs are irrelevant to the GCC issue. The GCC issue is that the tree is
89 >> not ready for it. Many applications will not build and there are many,
90 >> many unsolved problems and weird issues that people can't track down.
91 >> GCC 3.3 is not production ready and I, for one, am not interested in
92 >> pushing people to release a broken compiler on the masses for the sake
93 >> of saying "we're up to date!" - can you please justify pushing GCC 3.3
94 >> before it's ready?
95 >
96 > I don't need too. I'm not a gentoo developer, I just help where I can, when
97 > I can. What you should be telling me is here is a url of the number of
98 > packages that won't build with gcc3.3 in portage and here is another list
99 > that we are not sure of. Have that in an easy to find location then things
100 > can start to happen. It's all very well to say things are as broken as SCO's
101 > kernel code but all I can say is, show me the list and I will see what I can
102 > do to fix some of it. :)
105 Hi Tony,
106
107 This is the list I've started to work off of:
108
109 http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=gcc-3.3+gcc+3.3&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailqa_contact2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&remaction=run&namedcmd=everything+gcc3.1&order=Bug+Number&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=
110
111 There's really only 14 open bugs, however I leave the closed ones in
112 the list for historical interest.
113
114 Jon, GCC will never be perfect. Like anything, there's always bugs,
115 so I wouldn't stress out too much :)
116
117 Matt
120 Matthew Kennedy
121 Gentoo Linux Developer