From: Sir Percival <sirperc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Introduction to Gentoo Development Teams and Processes
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 18:50:11
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: gentoo-dev-admin@g.o
3 > [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@g.o] On Behalf Of Michaela
4 > Susan Buesing
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduction to Gentoo Development
6 > Teams and Processes
9 > Be greeted, "Sir" Perc!
10
11 Thank you, apologies for the delay, I've had a hell of a week
14 > Sorry, if I don't get into too much detail, concerning your
15 > ideas, but don't you think, that your suggestions are
16 > completely missing the point about having an OPEN (and
17 > volountary) development process?
18
19 Not at all, The point I was trying to raise 9and possibly tacking my
20 suggestions on to the end was a mistake) was that there is no clear
21 defined development process.
22 Process being the important word here.
23 Firstly there is no clear documentation on the site as to how the
24 distribution is split amongst the developers.
25 The developer lists do show what rough areas each developer uses,
26 however they are not ordered by these areas, so to find out who is
27 responsible for example, for KDE, you need to look down the entire list.
28 This "process" is fine where you have a small number of developers,
29 however as the developer list grows this process becomes unmanageable
30 and unpalatable for your new developers looking to join the
31 distribution.
32 Secondly, there are no clearly marked descriptions of the lists, I
33 signed up for most of them, mostly those that interest me, but I soon
34 discovered that the lines between newbies, users and dev lists were very
35 blurry.
38 > How are people/users supposed to learn and eventually become
39 > fully-fledged developers if they aren't to interact/learn
40 > from those who are already there?
41
42 I never suggested that the development system become closed, I would
43 recommend that processes for ensureing that the development system is
44 open and viewable are discussed and decided upon by the whole community.
45 For example, is there a set process for someone deciding to bring a new
46 application into the gentoo system? I've seen several posts on dev to
47 that effect, asking for advice on whether a package is being maintained
48 and if not how they go about maintaining it.
51 > I for myself would have never taken the step to apply for
52 > some official developer status. The open system of openly
53 > available developer documentation, mailing lists and BugZilla
54 > helped me a whole lot with overcoming my doubts...
55
56 The open system? So exactly what happens on gnetoo-core that we aren't
57 even allowed to browse it's archives?
58 If I dislike the way an ebuild sets itself up on my system how do I go
59 about changing that ebuild, contacting the maintainer, and contributing
60 my fixes?
61
62 The points I am suggesting is that these processes need to be firmly
63 defined, not set down from on high, but put forward as proposals from on
64 high, discussed and agreed upon, then enforced.
65 Of coruse there are different systems for deciding the development
66 processes, the -core team could simply decide them and put them in
67 place, but that might not be the best move, on the other hand that might
68 be a good move.
69 These are the thigns that need to be discussed, the processes for the
70 development of the system. The current system wherevy the processes are
71 vaguely known to everyone is fine for a small group of core developers
72 and a slightly larger group of general developers. With less than one
73 hundered people, it could be viewed that the processes are working fine.
74 However these processes are not working fine because they are not
75 officially mandated and recorded.
76 Once a policy is created it should be open to change naturally, when I
77 looked at this community and lurked on the mailing lists I immediately
78 thought of a proposal -> specification -> final process model.
79 In my eye, anybody could propose either a change in policy or a whole
80 new policy for any area that they feel is not fully covered.
81 They would get a proposal form of some sort and submit it to the
82 gentoo-dev list for example, the gentoo-dev would dsicuss the proposal,
83 and a web absed system would allow developers to mark a yes or no to a
84 proposal, as the proposal went around the list, changes would be made to
85 it, if the proposal had more yes's than no's then it would become a
86 specification, which would be discussed in -core, or even gentoo-policy
87 if necessary.
88
89 This is only my view of a possible system, there are millions of ways of
90 designing such a system, and it would be the work of the entire
91 development community to build such a system and agree to work with the
92 results of such a system.
95 > I also think that input from "normal" users is the best way
96 > to learn, what should be improved. - And after all, what is
97 > OpenSource/open development all about in the end?
98
99 Yes, my suggestion of segregating developers from users was not intended
100 to be an enforced segregation like -dev and -core, but for both lists to
101 be open for archival reading fromt eh public, and the -dev lists to
102 require you to register, an automated system could be used, further more
103 I thinkt he dev list should only be postable to by subscribers.
104 The users list should be watched carefully, as I'm sure it currently is,
105 by all developers and -core maintainers to get such input.
106 I have other ideas for such user input systems, web based user input,
107 suggestion boxes and so forth but these are my ideas, and ones that I
108 will propose in due time as and when I have the time to implement them,
109 or feel that they are necessary and furthermore wanted or requested.
112 > Bye, Ela.
113 >
114 > P.S.: Sorry, if this was a bit sharp. It's only my opinion,
115 > after all. :-/
116
117 Not a problem, I understand your views and it is my mistake for mixing
118 my discussion of defining processes with other ideas.
119
120 My main point is that from what I have seen, Gentoo Linux has no fixed,
121 defined procedures for doing things, cvs access is handed out as and
122 when it is needed, future developments are decided upon by a core team
123 that keep their discussions private (no offence, but why is there a need
124 for gentoo-core to have private archives?), ebuilds can be submitted
125 with little or no Quality assurance (which I know daniel is working on,
126 and trying to find a solution to), ebuilds can be submitted and if
127 entered into the portage tree are then within the hour available on all
128 users amchines.
129 I could go on, each of these problems can and will be sorted out
130 individually, but my point is that these problems are not the problems
131 so to speak they are symptoms of a deeper problems and that is lack of
132 team management, and lack of clear guidelines.
133
134 P.s. Thank you I found the FAQ, I had seen it before but I
135 mis-represented my original point, I was suggesting a development FAQ,
136 nota users FAQ, again somewhere where there needs to be a finer split
137 in my opinion
140 (I appear to have misplaced my PGP plugin in MS Outlook, so this one
141 isn't signed, I hate MS software!)
142 This email was written by Sir Perc (Mr M. Spall) and should be
143 accompanied by a signature for checking with PGP, available at
144 http://www.pgpi.org
145 My PGP Key is available with the email address sirperc@×××××.com