From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GNOME 2.4 marked stable on x86
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 22:19:56
1 On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 16:59, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 15:43:11 -0400
4 > Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Just curious, but why? There's no need for ide-scsi in most cases.
7 > > There are probably quite a few people whom are using ide-scsi when the
8 > > ATAPI interface works perfectly fine. Is ide-scsi a requirement of
9 > > this
10 > > ebuild or is it simply "a working burning setup"? I'm just curious
11 > > before I go testing, since my machines either have a) SCSI burners, or
12 > > b) use ATAPI perfectly.
16 > Actually because cd-burner frontends do not understand the ATAPI
17 > interface yet. of course, patching theese to be the perfect companion
18 > and work all over the place is just the "correct idea" to solve every
19 > magic problem. I don't have time, effort, or the incentive to take the
20 > support for each and every cdrw frontend there is in portage. You are of
21 > course welcome to do so though. :-)
22
23 I have no problems with gtoaster and ATAPI burning. I use it daily both
24 at work and at home. All you do is set dev=ATAPI:x,y,z and it works
25 just like SCSI.
26
27 > So, basically its the "this works decently" and something that lets
28 > cdburner frontends work. ofc, if cdrecord -scanbus would actually work
29 > on detecting ATAPI interface things would probably be better.
30
31 cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
32
33 > about scsi cdrw, I cannot speak. can you check that the build works,
34 > doesn't fuck it over, and works, and suggest changes if this isn't the
35 > case?
36
37 I'll look into it. The long and the skinny essentially is... Does this
38 "require" ide-scsi or is it something left up to the user? The changes
39 to devfs.d should be the same for either an IDE (using ide-scsi) or SCSI
40 burner. This would of course *not* work with ATAPI burning, unless you
41 set all cdroms to be owned by cdrw, which wouldn't be such a hurtful
42 thing (would it?) at all.
45 Chris Gianelloni
46 Developer, Gentoo Linux
47 Games Team