From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:50:24
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 Sorry for the delay in replying. Having a few reliability problems with
4 my broadband atm.
5
6 On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 08:59 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
7 > I thought your proposal was to get critical information to our users,
8 > not force every user to read that $dev is going to be in $country from
9 > $date1 to $date2.
10
11 This seems to be a misunderstanding somewhere along the line. I've just
12 gone back and checked my original blog posting, and I definitely didn't
13 say anything about limiting news delivered via Portage in any way.
14
15 > this, then I change my opinion on supporting this proposal, as I surely
16 > don't give a damn about some dev meet in the UK that I would never be
17 > able to attend and *definitely* don't want that *shoved* down my throat
18 > by the tree.
19
20 That's twice now you've had a pop at the UK meetings in this thread. If
21 there's some problem with the meetings that you'd like to get off your
22 chest, you could take it up with me on IRC or any of the other UK devs.
23
24 The events I've been involved in organising have been events for users,
25 and they've always been put together by both developers and users. I
26 believe that some of our users *are* interested in exactly this type of
27 news - and, from the enquiries I've had in the past, not just UK-based
28 people.
29
30 Maybe we should add the ability to filter news based on some sort of
31 geographical setting too? That'd be a reasonable thing to add to the
32 GLEP I think.
33
34 > I also noticed how you lost context in my quote by the way
35 > you quoted it. Thanks.
36
37 FFS, chill out, or even better come and talk to me on IRC about this
38 chip you seem to have on your shoulder in our recent dealings. I've no
39 idea what it is that I've done to upset you atm, but I don't think that
40 here and bugzilla are the places for it.
41
42 > > I think that's a worthy goal, but looking around, it looks to me that
43 > > software design just doesn't work like that in real life. Designs have
44 > > to adapt and change as time passes, not just implementations.
45 >
46 > Really? I work with quite a few developers where I work. We have
47 > meetings. During these meetings, requirements are hashed out to cover
48 > the scope of the project. The code is then written to the
49 > specifications. If a later change is made into the requirements, then
50 > another meeting takes place, and a change request is agreed upon and
51 > scheduled. They sure as hell don't let the requirements slip otherwise,
52 > or they would end up in the ever-developing and never-completing world.
53
54 And, equally, the Portage tree is full of examples of software that has
55 not been developed this way. I'm not saying that it's not a valid
56 engineering practice; but it's not the only way in the world that
57 software gets developed.
58
59 But anyway - we were talking about design, not requirements. Although
60 obviously related, I've always seen them as being different things.
61
62 > We're talking about a *very* simple set of things that need to be
63 > developed here. Why *would* we even consider not laying out the
64 > requirements up front?
65
66 I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. You're talking about
67 requirements now, but my comment that you're responding to was about the
68 design, which I would normally treat as being different to requirements.
69
70 I agree that it's simple. But I also think that, once we're using it,
71 we'll learn from that experience and want to make changes. I may not be
72 the best practitioner of it, but I am a great believer in the F/OSS way
73 of release early, release often. As a community, we don't seem to have
74 done too badly out of that approach.
75
76 Best regards,
77 Stu
78 --
79 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
80 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
81 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
82
83 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
84 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C