From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK und GTK2 Use Flag
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:50:40
1 On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:35:38PM +0100, David Morgan wrote:
2 > On 13:24 Tue 29 Mar , Diego Flameeyes Petten? wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 29 March 2005 13:11, Stefan Sperling wrote:
4 > > > On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:04:13PM +0200, Diego Flameeyes Petten? wrote:
5 > > > > -gtk +gtk2 is a no-op.
6 > > > why?
7 > > As Brian said, gtk2 depends on gtk.
8 > > Just as a practical example, take ethereal, which could be built without gui
9 > > support, just using tethereal.
10 > > If you build it with -gtk +gtk2, it will build tethereal, not ethereal. I
11 > > submitted some time ago a patch to make this a more logical behaviour, but I
12 > > needed to change it to suit the same behaviour of other packages. See bug
13 > > #81055.
14 > >
15 > > Take also amule which you can find on bugzilla as an example, which can be
16 > > built without gtk support, and on which gtk2 support depends on gtk.
17 > >
18 > > Or wxGTK in which +wxnogtk flag is used to disable gtk1 support (there's gtk2
19 > > flag but no gtk flag).
20 > >
21 > > I still think this is illogical, but I can't do much on this.
24 > What if I want things to be built without gtk where ever possible, but I
25 > want things that have to use either gtk1 or gtk2 to use gtk2?
26 >
27 > Under the current method this is what -gtk gtk2 should do,
28 Actually, no. And that is why the gtk flags need changing. :)
29 current setup.
30 gtk ~= gtk support AND fall back to gtk v1 support.
31 gtk2 ~= use gtk v2 support in preference to v1 if available.
32
33 There is no way to state, "I want v2, and _only_ v2" without resorting
34 to a package.mask'ing of gtk-1*.
35
36 > since
37 > something that has to use gtk won't have a gtk flag, but if there's a
38 > choice between gtk1 and gtk2, it should have a gtk2 flag.
39 >
40 > I don't see how this would be possible under ferringb's scheme,
41 my scheme- gtk == *any* version, the user doesn't care.
42 gtk{1,2,3} == use that version.
43
44 So... if you had USE="gtk2 and gtk3", ebuilds would use v3 if
45 possible, otherwise v2. No gtk v1.
46
47 If you had USE="gtk gtk2", you prefer gtk v2., but will use what is
48 available (any version).
49
50 > so I
51 > prefer the current way (though if ferringb's way of doing it could be
52 > modified to do this without getting too ugly I'd be just as happy with
53 > that).
54 The current scheme sucks for those who want a gtk v2 only system. How
55 do you specify gtk v2 only under the current system using _just_ use
56 flags? You don't. :)
57 ~brian
58 --
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list