From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:34:14
1 On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 24-07-2012 14:52:43 -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
3 >> This is a change that will break all new installs and expecting
4 >> experienced gentoo users to read the handbook is simply a fantasy.
5 >
6 > I don't see how it breaks. And secondly, if you do refuse to read the
7 > manual, why don't you refuse to read elogs, news messages, and what
8 > more?
9
10 The difference is that news only communicates what is "news." Unless
11 the manual contains a revision history it contains everything you
12 already know, perhaps with a gem buried in there somewhere.
13
14 This is the same reason why when something is wrong with Chromium you
15 are supposed to post a 5-line patch to the bug and not a 300MB tarball
16 with the patch applied, though at least in that case modern tools
17 actually make finding the change fairly easy.
18
19 > Do we really have to babysit people, because they think they're too
20 > smart to check on the manual once again? Or when they notice things
21 > seem different? Any search engine is your friend.
22
23 There is the principle of not surprising people. This is a big change
24 - a file central to the config of Gentoo that has been in one place
25 for more than a decade, and is now moving. The change makes sense and
26 should be embraced, but there is no harm in pointing it out.
27
28 Sure, when my system breaks I'm pretty smart and can usually figure
29 out how to fix it. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a
30 heads-up before it breaks.
31
32 Rich