From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for March
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 05:21:54
1 On 3/9/08, Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 19:48 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 >
5 > > What exact time constraints and responsibilities are people afraid of?
6 > > Are those concerns real or just myths?
9 > As someone who just sent in the quiz, yes its real concerns. What scared
10 > me off mostly is the gentoo politics. The entire process to become a
11 > "gentoo developer" is a scare off. Took me weeks to complete the quiz. I
12 > want to help, yes, but I do have a life.
13
14 If you have other methods to avoid contributors who suck; I'd like to hear them.
15
16 We have had problems where people sign up in the past and then never
17 do anything and it wastes our time trying to teach them how the tree
18 works. We would rather spend that time helping out developers who
19 like, actually do work.
23 > > > A formal proxy-maintainer could really help in our sometimes blind
24 > > > maintaining duties.
25 > >
26 > > What would be the difference between a "formal proxy-maintainer" and
27 > > how we handle it currently?
30 > It's documented? I hardly know it was possible. I have heard the term
31 > proxy maintainer a few time and offerend to become one without beeing
32 > 100% what it was. I talked about to become a dev only to be able to
33 > maintain a handful ebuilds but was even recommended to not do that due
34 > to QA issues. That kind of turned me off [1].
35
36 Granted, that e-mail was from October 2006 ;)
39 > At the same time I go the offer to maintain a package in FreeBSD. I said
40 > yes because it was very simple. So I have been a freebsd ports
41 > maintainer for years, while it took me years to actually take the step
42 > to fill in the quiz, even if i run gentoo on desktop and run my own
43 > distro based on Gentoo.
44
45 I can certainly invision cvs ACLs if people are worried about that
46 sort of thing; but it doesn't mitigate the fact that maintainers need
47 to know what they are doing.
48
49 Did freeBSD not care if you knew what you were doing? What happens if
50 you totally screw up your package? What happens if you do something
51 malicious?
54 > I'd probably not do the quiz again but I'd be more than happy to
55 > maintain a few packages.
56 >
57 > > Marius
58 >
59 > -nc
60 >
61 > [1]http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@l.g.o/msg15926.html
62 >
63 > PS. The entire thread is kind of interesting to read.
67 > --
68 > gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list
72 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list