From: "Bryan Ãstergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:47:15
1 On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 10:50:31PM -0400, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 03:35 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:19:56 -0400 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
4 > > wrote:
5 > > | we take a risk with this project (like every single other
6 > > | project) ... if sunrise turns out to suck and cause problems, then we
7 > > | kill it, no big deal
8 > >
9 > > How many more users and developers will have to be lost before it's
10 > > considered to "suck and cause problems"?
11 >
12 > I don't recall users having been lost to the Sunrise. I know of only
13 > one developer who left. He left in a huff, in an emotional "I'm taking
14 > toys, because I don't like them" way, without actually raising any
15 > issues that he was against, other than a nebulous concern about QA.
16 > Show me at least that concern being concrete and we have a starting
17 > place.
18 >
19 Left in a huff? I'm sorry but I don't think you fully understand the
20 reasons for Brix leaving. After Sunrise was suspended by the council
21 there was a meeting [1] between brix, the sunrise leads (genstef and
22 jokey), christel (representing user relations), myself and one or two
23 other people that showed an interest in the meeting (primarily antarus).
24
25 At that meeting we tried to figure out what the outstanding issues were
26 and how they could be solved. The outcome of the meeting was that
27 sunrise was to stay as an unofficial project until those issues were
28 solved - I'd like to remind everybody that genstef and jokey agreed on
29 this. Furthermore Brix was to write up his proposal on how to reach the
30 goals of sunrise in a more acceptable way (to him and other people
31 uneasy with the current sunrise project).
32
33 Before this could even happen genstef took upon himself to tell the
34 council that all outstanding problems have been solved although I
35 haven't seen *any* progress regarding the issues raised on that meeting.
36
37 I don't know if genstefs memory is just extremely bad or if he
38 purposefully misled the council or something entirely different. That's
39 not really my point either.
40
41 *This is my point* - Brix sees sunrise in it's current form as a project
42 with great potential to harm Gentoo. He agrees with the goals but not
43 the implementation. And no matter how hard he works at solving the
44 problems he sees genstef, jokey and the council have mostly ignored him
45 by unsuspending the project. I certainly don't blame Brix if he sees no
46 further possibility for correcting those problems and instead chooses to
47 leave the project.
48
49 Regards,
50 Bryan Østergaard
51
52 PS. Sorry genstef about picking at you but I don't know how you managed
53 to forget everything that was agreed upon on our meeting.
54
55 "21:56 <@Koon> Have all the reasonable objections been addressed ?
56 21:56 <@Koon> because you'll never satisfy those who want it dead anyway
57 21:56 <+genstef> I hope so. If you can point something more out to me I
58 would love to hear it" <- our meeting ended up with some concerns that
59 you even agreed to yourself by keeping sunrise unofficial.
60
61 [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/39764
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list