From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patch filename conventions (WAS: Proposal: patches.gentoo.org)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:08:59
1 On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 06:14:30PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 October 2004 06:08 pm, Dylan Carlson wrote:
3 > > I know it's bad form to reply to your own message, but I'm doing it anyway.
4 > > Here's my quick stab on filename convention:
5 > if a covention is going to be developed it's going to involve what epatch
6 > already uses:
7 > ##_${ARCH}_foo.patch
8 >
9 > if you want to flesh out the 'foo' part, fine, but the prefix involving a #
10 > and $ARCH is already set in stone
11 Thats a very bad road to take.
12
13 The primary reason against it is packages that share patches.
14 Eg:
15 - php, php-cgi, mod_php all use the same hardenedPHP patch.
16
17 One thing that hasn't been proposed, but I feel would probably make a
18 very good suggestion, would be to increase the update frequency on the
19 master distfiles mirror that users have access to, assuming it can
20 handle the load (I assume it has the bandwidth given the proposals for
21 another patches server near it).
22 If the patch isn't found in local mirror://gentoo/ servers, they
23 eventully end up at th master distfiles box, which will have the patch.
26 Robin Hugh Johnson
27 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
28 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
29 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
30 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85