From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-devrel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-devrel] [GLEP] Bugzilla access for contributor
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:59:24
On 9/2/06, Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
> > Current situation > > ================ > > > > Currently there are specific deals with arch testers and devrel/infra to allow > > arch testers to edit bugs. This GLEP is written to standardize the process and > > make it available for all aspects of Gentoo where work is being done by people > > who are no full developers. > > This is very vague. What kind of contributors are you talking about? I > assume you mean people contributing on sunrise, or does that also > imply people who contribute to another project should get those > privileges, too? What kind of people do you have in mind? > Does that mean the contributors become official project members like > devs/ATs? > > > Requirements > > ============ > > > > Bugzilla permissions > > ------------ > > > > It is needed that contributors who work on bugs can edit them on their own and > > do not have to rely on their mentoring or supervising developers to reassign > > or modify bugs. > > Stupid question, but why don't they do the quiz and become developer/staff/AT > if they want to work on bugs?
they usually do that, but they work on bugs before they are developers.
> What's the reasoning to make another > class of users who can edit bugs?
this is not intended. I just want them to be able to edit bugs they are working on.
> Also is bugzi rights _all_ they are > supposed to get or other stuff, too?
This is only about bugzilla and not about a special group.
> Also, what kind of bugzi permissions are we talking about, just > marking bugs as fixed?
permissions like arch testers: edit all aspects of bugs but do not see developer bugs.
> > Security > > ----------------- > > > > To ensure that not everyone who asks for it can get access to edit bugs it is > > required to complete the ebuild quiz prior to requesting access > > The ebuild quiz is also used in the AT project, so what exactly would > be the difference between your contributor and and an AT/HT?
cannot see much difference. But obviously recruiters/devrel have seen much difference when I asked.
> > Management > > --------------- > > > > This cannot be managed by devrel, because they lack the resources to do it. > > s/devrel/recruiters and have you talked it over with them or is this > only an assumption? I'm not saying they do have the resources, but > that statement sounds rather final for the first version of a GLEP. > > > Executive summary (+ some more opinion): > The whole glep is very vague, please be a bit more specific.
that is intentional to allow usage of it in any cases it might be needed and not just in one special case.
> Also, there really should be a good reason to introduce a new class of > "official Gentoo people with extra permissions" as well as a > difference to the ATs. Currently contributor and AT seem to have both > the same requirements and permissions.
honestly I do not care much - I just want the result: bugzilla editing permissions for one guy I work with in sunrise If you can show me an easier way to get it done please tell so. I tried to contact devrel before and that communication ended in that I should write a GLEP, so here you have it. Regards, Stefan -- gentoo-devrel@g.o mailing list