From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:12:50
1 The Gentoo Release Engineering team is pushing us to remove stage1 and
2 stage2 references from the Gentoo Handbook. They are getting too many errors
3 because the user is not able to fully comprehend the implications of a
4 stage1 or stage2 installation.
5
6 This does surprise me, either because it seems rather simple to me, or
7 because I don't understand it myself (in which case we need(ed) better
8 information regarding the subject).
9
10 In any case, bug #105809 contains a small patch (95K, 3165 lines, mostly
11 duplicates for architecture-specific chapters that do contain
12 cross-architecture information) that attempts to move stage1/2 references to
13 a FAQ in the Gentoo FAQ.
14
15 I'd appreciate any feedback on the patch and possible enhancements. Please,
16 do not provide patches for the patch but rather a new patch. Thanks.
17
18 Wkr,
19 Sven Vermeulen
22 Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org