From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Handbook btrfs support
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 21:24:13
1 wireless posted on Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:31:52 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > I was looking at the handbook. File system support seems limited in the
4 > documentation of the handbook, some quite antiquated (reiserfs?).
5 >
6 > Looking at the handbook it would seem to be quite extensible to support
7 > one of the newer, extremely attractive, files systems (ZFS or btrfs). My
8 > guess is that, license_wise, it would be easier to document the use of
9 > btrfs in the handbook?
10 >
11 > So, these are the sections that would need only limited prose to support
12 > btrfs in the handbook:
13 >
14 > 2.b 4.b/4.d 4.e 6.a 6.b 7.b 8.a 9.e 10.e ?
15 >
16 > The idea would be to use a single 2T drive, with the standard (handbook)
17 > 3 partition scheme, with just the simplest gentoo system set up with
18 > BTRFS.
19 >
20 > Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. If this idea is deemed
21 > meritorious, I'll take a crack at it and post what I discover after
22 > performing a few of this proposed btrfs handbook installs?
23
24 As you'll know if you follow the btrfs list, have read the wiki, or even
25 simply the btrfs kernel config option, btrfs isn't exactly stable yet.
26 While a patch in 3.13 does tone down the warning a bit, matching a
27 slightly toned down warning on the wiki of late, and I /do/ run btrfs
28 here, it's still far enough from stable that I'd hesitate to put it in
29 the handbook just yet.
30
31 Basically, current btrfs status for single-device or multi-device
32 raid0/1/10 modes is "semi-stable"; it generally works reasonably well,
33 but be *SURE* and keep *TESTED* backups and be prepared to use them if
34 necessary, AND try to keep on latest (upstream Linus) stable kernel if
35 not the development kernel RCs. Following current discussions and status
36 on the btrfs list is recommended as well.
37
38 And bugs do still often affect a reasonable cross-section of users, too.
39 One fixed in 3.12 was hitting a lot of systemd users as well as others
40 using pre-allocated files that are then written into (torrent clients
41 often do this too and someone reported getting hit by that, too). For
42 3.13, a host of kernel memory leaks have been fixed, as well as a
43 concurrency bug hit when people tried to run a balance and a snapshot (as
44 often done via cronjob, so the admin may have only been thinking about
45 and run the balance manually) at the same time.
46
47 Until very recently, live-git master-branch btrfs-progs was strongly
48 recommended too (development happens in branches and the policy for
49 master is that it's always run-ready, as stable as btrfs itself is at
50 this point), but with kernel 3.12 the btrfs-progs versioning policy
51 changed, with releases now generally synced with the kernel and versioned
52 similarly, thus making btrfs-progs-3.12 as current as the 3.12 series
53 kernel. Of course that's ~arch, while live-git 9999 is naturally masked.
54
55 Run older than that as a btrfs tester (which is what anyone running btrfs
56 is at this point, a tester) and you're not only needlessly risking having
57 to use those backups you're keeping as a not-yet-fully-stable filesystem
58 tester due to running code with known and now fixed bugs, but any testing
59 reports filed aren't going to be as useful either, because you're testing
60 old code on a fast-moving project that has moved on from it.
61
62 But a lot of gentoo users reading the handbook won't want to be upgrading
63 that fast nor will they be that faithful in keeping current and tested
64 backups, nor will they wish to bother with following the btrfs list, as
65 recommended for anyone wishing to test btrfs at this point.
66
67 Oh, and neither btrfs nor zfs mount options are listed in the mount
68 manpage yet. I don't know about zfs, but one indication of btrfs
69 maturing will be when it appears in the mount manpage.
70
71 So IMO btrfs is inappropriate for the handbook at this point. Or if it's
72 included, stress its testing aspect and that those choosing to test it
73 should be prepared to use their TESTED backups, keep current on the
74 kernel and btrfs-progs, and follow the btrfs list to keep up with current
75 issues with what they've chosen to test.
76
77 Tho the thinking is that btrfs should really start to stabilize in 2014,
78 at least for the "basic" functionality comparable to most filesystems.
79 Of course in some ways every year seems to be the year btrfs will
80 stabilize, rather reminding me of the year of the Linux desktop.
81 However, I know it's getting closer, as I'm actually running it this
82 year, something I tried but gave up on last year. And after leaving it
83 to mature a bit after the first bit, I could DEFINITELY see the
84 difference when I came back. It really is getting there, and 2014 could
85 very well be the year.
86
87 Meanwhile, zfs is a bit more mature, but as you point out, has licensing
88 issues, thus making it not particularly handbook appropriate, tho of
89 course people can choose to run it if they wish.
90
91 Thus at this point, ext4 really remains the best "mainline" choice, with
92 xfs also a reasonable choice these days. And reiserfs certainly remains
93 usable. I'm still using it on spinning rust here, tho it's not so good
94 for SSDs, which is where I'm testing btrfs. But ext4 has an ssd mode as
95 well, I believe.
100 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman