From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Handbook btrfs support
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:11:25
1 On 12/06/13 16:23, Duncan wrote:
2 > wireless posted on Fri, 06 Dec 2013 14:31:52 -0500 as excerpted:
3
4 >> btrfs in the handbook?
5 >>
6 >> So, these are the sections that would need only limited prose to support
7 >> btrfs in the handbook:
8 >>
9 >> 2.b 4.b/4.d 4.e 6.a 6.b 7.b 8.a 9.e 10.e ?
10 >>
11 >> The idea would be to use a single 2T drive, with the standard (handbook)
12 >> 3 partition scheme, with just the simplest gentoo system set up with
13 >> BTRFS.
14
15 What I'm thinking is just "cut and paste" the handbook somewhere
16 and clearly mark the sections where the handbook has been modified
17 (deviated from) for this btrfs experiment.
20 >> Your comments and suggestions are most welcome. If this idea is deemed
21 >> meritorious, I'll take a crack at it and post what I discover after
22 >> performing a few of this proposed btrfs handbook installs?
23 >
24 > As you'll know if you follow the btrfs list, have read the wiki, or even
25 > simply the btrfs kernel config option, btrfs isn't exactly stable yet.
26 > While a patch in 3.13 does tone down the warning a bit, matching a
27 > slightly toned down warning on the wiki of late, and I /do/ run btrfs
28 > here, it's still far enough from stable that I'd hesitate to put it in
29 > the handbook just yet.
30
31 Yes, I have a hack of btrfs running on old hardware. I'm going to
32 hack out a handbook_similar doc and try to explicitly follow it
33 noting in detail any discussion or other reference sources where
34 warranted.
37 > Basically, current btrfs status for single-device or multi-device
38 > raid0/1/10 modes is "semi-stable"; it generally works reasonably well,
39 > but be *SURE* and keep *TESTED* backups and be prepared to use them if
40 > necessary, AND try to keep on latest (upstream Linus) stable kernel if
41 > not the development kernel RCs. Following current discussions and status
42 > on the btrfs list is recommended as well.
43 >
44 > And bugs do still often affect a reasonable cross-section of users, too.
45 > One fixed in 3.12 was hitting a lot of systemd users as well as others
46 > using pre-allocated files that are then written into (torrent clients
47 > often do this too and someone reported getting hit by that, too). For
48 > 3.13, a host of kernel memory leaks have been fixed, as well as a
49 > concurrency bug hit when people tried to run a balance and a snapshot (as
50 > often done via cronjob, so the admin may have only been thinking about
51 > and run the balance manually) at the same time.
52 >
53 > Until very recently, live-git master-branch btrfs-progs was strongly
54 > recommended too (development happens in branches and the policy for
55 > master is that it's always run-ready, as stable as btrfs itself is at
56 > this point), but with kernel 3.12 the btrfs-progs versioning policy
57 > changed, with releases now generally synced with the kernel and versioned
58 > similarly, thus making btrfs-progs-3.12 as current as the 3.12 series
59 > kernel. Of course that's ~arch, while live-git 9999 is naturally masked.
60 >
61 > Run older than that as a btrfs tester (which is what anyone running btrfs
62 > is at this point, a tester) and you're not only needlessly risking having
63 > to use those backups you're keeping as a not-yet-fully-stable filesystem
64 > tester due to running code with known and now fixed bugs, but any testing
65 > reports filed aren't going to be as useful either, because you're testing
66 > old code on a fast-moving project that has moved on from it.
67
68 Agreed with all of the above.
69
70 > But a lot of gentoo users reading the handbook won't want to be upgrading
71 > that fast nor will they be that faithful in keeping current and tested
72 > backups, nor will they wish to bother with following the btrfs list, as
73 > recommended for anyone wishing to test btrfs at this point.
74
75 Hmmmmm,
76
77 I understand your concerns. The goals is to do this now, to flesh out,
78 the issues, so when btrfs becomes "stable" there is a simple guide
79 for adventurous, but ordinary users to follow. Also, a dual hope that
80 supporting btrfs, formally in the handbook, become a reality.
81
82 I think most folks are ready for a file system beyond ext4, particularly
83 for a second (gentoo) system. Some distros are actively supporting btrfs.
87 > Oh, and neither btrfs nor zfs mount options are listed in the mount
88 > manpage yet. I don't know about zfs, but one indication of btrfs
89 > maturing will be when it appears in the mount manpage.
90
91 I disagree. When btrfs is found in SystemRescue and many, many places
92 on the net, it became serious. Waiting for something to appear properly
93 in the manpages, is a very odd semantic as an acceptable standard for
94 use, imho:
95 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ2NTY
96
97 > So IMO btrfs is inappropriate for the handbook at this point. Or if it's
98 > included, stress its testing aspect and that those choosing to test it
99 > should be prepared to use their TESTED backups, keep current on the
100 > kernel and btrfs-progs, and follow the btrfs list to keep up with current
101 > issues with what they've chosen to test.
102
103 YES, it's about being ready; not about being a laggard, imho:
104 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/btrfs
105
106 > Tho the thinking is that btrfs should really start to stabilize in 2014,
107 > at least for the "basic" functionality comparable to most filesystems.
108 > Of course in some ways every year seems to be the year btrfs will
109 > stabilize, rather reminding me of the year of the Linux desktop.
110 > However, I know it's getting closer, as I'm actually running it this
111 > year, something I tried but gave up on last year. And after leaving it
112 > to mature a bit after the first bit, I could DEFINITELY see the
113 > difference when I came back. It really is getting there, and 2014 could
114 > very well be the year.
115 >
116 > Meanwhile, zfs is a bit more mature, but as you point out, has licensing
117 > issues, thus making it not particularly handbook appropriate, tho of
118 > course people can choose to run it if they wish.
119 >
120 > Thus at this point, ext4 really remains the best "mainline" choice, with
121 > xfs also a reasonable choice these days. And reiserfs certainly remains
122 > usable. I'm still using it on spinning rust here, tho it's not so good
123 > for SSDs, which is where I'm testing btrfs. But ext4 has an ssd mode as
124 > well, I believe.
127 Nothing in this effort will replace ext4, except most gentoo user, are
128 by the nature of being gentoo users, way_ready for a new, feature rich
129 file system. Ext4 is ARCANE, but very stable.
130
131 So what I'm thinking is getting some space on wiki.gentoo.org for this
132 effort? I'd do most of the work and have a few_folks look over the
133 original content enhancements ensuring that my
134 discoveries/ideas/workarounds are reasonable. I do not wish to imply
135 that it is any sort of official handbook effort, but having some of the
136 gentoo-doc folks look in, time to time, would be keen.
137
138 One thing I'm not sure of, is which section should it go under?
139
140 Project & Community ?
141
142 Surely not core?