From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Cc: "Philippe Clérié" <philippe@××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] busybox + python questions
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:39:55
1 On Wednesday 09 August 2006 18:36, Philippe Clérié wrote:
2 > The default configuration of busybox (1.1.3) installs a /bin/bb executable
3 > to which nothing apparently is linked. I renamed it, played with a few
4 > applets and so far nothing is broken. What is that bb for?
5
6 it's a standalone static rescue shell
7
8 broken system ? boot with init=/bin/bb
9
10 > I am discovering that python is really not something I might want installed
11 > on a small system. The base package is about 22MB on disk. 2/3 of that it
12 > seems are pyc and pyo files. Plus there are quite a few packages I don't
13 > anticipate needing. Can we reduce that footprint? Or do I have to give up
14 > on python?
15
16 it's your system so only you know if you really need python
17
18 in terms of Gentoo, if you dont want to run portage on the target, then by
19 default there's not much point in having python
20 -mike