From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-embedded@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-embedded] cirrus ep93xx chips / maverick crunch
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:49:30
1 Christopher Friedt wrote:
2 > wireless wrote:
3 >> I have a board based on the EP 9302:
4 >> http://www.emacinc.com/sbc_microcontrollers/ipac_9302.htm
5 >
6 >> It's been mentioned a few time about developing 'how to' docs or
7 >> such for a particular board. When I finally get around to putting
8 >> embedded gentoo on this board, I'm most likely to create a simple
9 >> guide for others to follow (once I figure it out for myself).
10 >>
11 >> With that in mind, those with EP 93xx boards may want to keep a few
12 >> notes that I can look at so we can make the EP 93xx guide, generic?
15 >> just a thought, any interests?
16 >
17 > Sounds good to me ;-) I'll have to check out the specs for your board -
18 > the TS-7xxx boards that I'm using all have a particular physmap, and
19 > it's probably different between board manufacturers, meaning that the
20 > linux kernel would need to know the specifics of where ram / flash are
21 > located on the address bus.
24 Well, you hit the 'nail on the head'. If we can identify all of those
25 differences (where the installation process diverges) then we can make
26 up a single document, with different subsections that contain vendor
27 specific recipes. I intend to follow the embedded manual as closely as
28 possible, supplementing it with basic explanations for those not too
29 familiar with Embedded Systems.
30
31 In another section, we can talk about advanced issues, specific to
32 this family of processors, such as the FPU, AD/DA, JTAG usage.......
33 with luminous, specific examples for each of several vendor boards
34 supported. My goal is to take the 'knowledge and wisdom' of those
35 successful on this list with information specific to a given board
36 and write a cookbook for novices. That way, when somebody new comes to
37 embedded linux, they most painless path will be to follow the cookbook
38 on a specific board. Once you knock off your first embedded project,
39 the rest are mostly 'a body of work'...... IMHO.
40
41 sound ok?
44 James
52 gentoo-embedded@l.g.o mailing list