From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GCC4 (again...)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 01:43:09
1 2009/6/26 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > However, to be clear I think this achieves a PIE install with no SSP?  Can
6 > anyone confirm this is correct?
7
8 That's correct.
9
10 > Seems like SSP is desirable, but not really sure why it's not so
11 > straightforward to turn on?
12
13 The SSP implementation you are familiar with is largely the work of Dr
14 Hiroaki Etoh of IBM, Japan. As I understand it, the patch simply isn't
15 being maintained any more and, consequently, others (Red Hat?) have
16 picked up the baton and produced an implementation that it somewhat
17 different. By mere virtue of being different, there are unique
18 issues/bugs to be resolved before it can be enabled by default in the
19 gcc-4.x hardened specs without causing undue breakage and inducing
20 headaches throughout the hardened populace.
21
22 Cheers,
23
24 --Kerin