From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GCC4 (again...)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 01:11:39
1 klondike wrote:
2 > 2009/6/25 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> Hi, I can find various posts on blogs referring to hardened working in at
5 >> least a limited capacity with GCC4 right now? There is even a (fairly old)
6 >> note in the gentoo documentation about upgrading to GCC4.1. However, I
7 >> don't see any recent status updates on the list here, or any other official
8 >> kind of notices?
9 >>
10 >> Can someone please perhaps post a summary of where we are with regards to
11 >> GCC4? I think a lot of folks want hardened as a "nice to have", so even a
12 >> partial implementation would be nice to have, although also it's important
13 >> to understand exactly what you are getting
14 >>
15 >> Anyone able to provide such a summary please?
16 >>
17 >> FWIW: I'm largely interested in GCC4+hardened+uclibc, which may be better
18 >> supported?
19 >>
20 > I wrote on my blog on that some time ago:
21 > http://klondike.xiscosoft.es/klog/2009/03/07/gentoo-hardened-and-gcc-4x-i-installation/
22 >
23 > As for now I keep using gcc4-x for desktop and server use without
24 > major problems except a few packages who don't detected well the gcc
25 > version (and which seem to have been fixed).
29 Actually this was one of the posts I found already!
30
31 However, to be clear I think this achieves a PIE install with no SSP?
32 Can anyone confirm this is correct?
33
34 Seems like SSP is desirable, but not really sure why it's not so
35 straightforward to turn on?
36
37 Ed W