From: klondike <franxisco1988@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GCC4 (again...)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:58:40
1 2009/6/25 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>:
2 > Hi, I can find various posts on blogs referring to hardened working in at
3 > least a limited capacity with GCC4 right now?  There is even a (fairly old)
4 > note in the gentoo documentation about upgrading to GCC4.1.  However, I
5 > don't see any recent status updates on the list here, or any other official
6 > kind of notices?
7 >
8 > Can someone please perhaps post a summary of where we are with regards to
9 > GCC4?  I think a lot of folks want hardened as a "nice to have", so even a
10 > partial implementation would be nice to have, although also it's important
11 > to understand exactly what you are getting
12 >
13 > Anyone able to provide such a summary please?
14 >
15 > FWIW: I'm largely interested in GCC4+hardened+uclibc, which may be better
16 > supported?
17 I wrote on my blog on that some time ago:
18 http://klondike.xiscosoft.es/klog/2009/03/07/gentoo-hardened-and-gcc-4x-i-installation/
19
20 As for now I keep using gcc4-x for desktop and server use without
21 major problems except a few packages who don't detected well the gcc
22 version (and which seem to have been fixed).