From: Vieri <rentorbuy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] novice question regarding SU and TTY
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 14:59:14
1 --- Vieri <rentorbuy@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I've recently installed a gentoo box with the
6 > hardend
7 > profile + hardened-sources so I'm new to all this.
8 >
9 > I have two basic questions that I can't seem to
10 > answer.
11 >
12 > 1) SU:
13 > on the non-hardened gentoo box I'm used to, I can
14 > enter as root and then do a "su username" and a
15 > whoami
16 > shows that username. However, in the hardened box,
17 > issuing "su username" doesn't do anything and whoami
18 > is still root. I can't see any log messages related
20 > this. Is this behavior normal?
21 >
22 > 2) TTY:
23 > on my non-hardened gentoo I emerged sys-power/nut
24 > which is a UPS monitoring tool and needs to access
25 > /dev/ttySx. The nut driver is supposed to run under
26 > the nut user/group which is also part of the tty
27 > group. In other words, the application has correct
28 > access to the device. However, in my hardened box
29 > after emerging without errors and verifying that the
30 > nut user was added to the tty group, the nut app
31 > fails
32 > when trying to access /dev/ttyS0 and reports
33 > "permission denied".
34 >
35 > I'm sure all this is due to my lack of experience
36 > but
37 > could someone please give me the big picture.
40 May I add:
41
42 non-hardened # ls -la /dev/ttyS0
43 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Apr 27 12:39 /dev/ttyS0 ->
44 tts/0
45
46 hardened # ls -la /dev/ttyS0
47 crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 May 8 00:19 /dev/ttyS0
48
49 Do I just need to manually change permissions for this
50 device?
51
52 > Thank you.
53 >
54 > Vieri
58 Do You Yahoo!?
59 Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
60 http://mail.yahoo.com
61 --
62 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list