From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] kernel no longer in hardened-development overlay?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:15:56
1 >> I realise everyone has different needs, but perhaps try pulling your own
2 >> kernel down and applying your own patches - I think it's about easier to
3 >> maintain in most cases?
4 >
5 > * The ebuilds for e.g. hardened-sources do all the patching for you,
6 > which is nice.
7
8 Hmm, it's a very weak one, but yes ok.
9
10 > * The fact that the kernel shows up in emerge output reminds me to
11 > compile a new one.
12
13 OK, big thumbs up. Yes this is a very good reason.
14
15 > * If a kernel is marked stable in Portage, it means that test dummies
16 > have been running it for a while and they survived. It also means
17 > no bugs were reported regarding integration with other in-tree
18 > packages.
19
20 Actually, I'm just not buying this... The size of the coverage seems
21 very small compared with the much larger coverage which simply fixes the
22 problem and pushes the fix upstream?
23
24 I haven't done the research, but my gut feel would be that the latest
25 iteration of your chosen kernel version would be competitive with
26 someone of less than Redhat size trying to backport fixes into your much
27 older kernel version? I guess it's possible, but for the time being I
28 tend to vote for newer kernel vs gentoo patched older kernel...
29
30 > * Other packages in portage can require certain (versions of) kernels.
31 > If you compile your own, Portage doesn't know about it.
32
33 Not buying this one either... I haven't seen this working on the small
34 number of systems I have and where it looks like it's supposed to be
35 working it doesn't quite seem to be working as you would like it to. eg
36 udev seems to look at running kernel version (and can't parse my
37 hardened version so it keeps telling me it's too old... It also seemed
38 to upgrade happily in a way which it then expected to break my
39 system!!). Nvidia seems to use a mismash, but apparently guesses
40 something and falls back to the tree in /usr/src/linux and usually
41 simply dies horribly if the tree isn't as it expects. Lirc has
42 literally just failed to compile for me on a certain kernel version
43 requiring me to downgrade to 2.6.32 on the machine I need lirc on.
44
45 I get the theory, but I'm not seeing this one work in practice.
48 So basically I would agree with:
49
50 - Easier for non hackers to do the patching
51 - Good reminder that your kernel is out of date.
52
53 I guess I concede the ebuilds are useful, but I would kind of expect
54 most people on this list to be well within the capability to build their
55 own kernel, so I would still recommend anyone who has avoided doing so
56 to give it a whirl first hand?
57
58 Good luck
59