From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] kernel no longer in hardened-development overlay?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:03:03
1 On 04/19/10 13:16, Ed W wrote:
2 > I guess others will disagree, but I have never been a huge fan of the
3 > kernel ebuilds. I'm just not clear what they buy you over downloading
4 > and compiling your own? I think there are a few extra patches in the
5 > case of gentoo-sources, but that seems to be about it?
8 > If you don't yet have an alternative in place then my choice is for the
9 > vserver+grsec patches that you can grab from the linux-vserver.org site
10 > and this gives you a very easy way to setup chroot style jails with
11 > lightweight virtualisation, plus all the grsec patches. If you just want
12 > Pax then it's a fast moving target and you are best to grab and patch
13 > your own kernel anyway, and don't forget to keep an archive of pax
14 > patches used since they don't archive them on the site (annoying if you
15 > are trying to diff the diff or whatever)
18 > I realise everyone has different needs, but perhaps try pulling your own
19 > kernel down and applying your own patches - I think it's about easier to
20 > maintain in most cases?
21
22 * The ebuilds for e.g. hardened-sources do all the patching for you,
23 which is nice.
24
25 * The fact that the kernel shows up in emerge output reminds me to
26 compile a new one.
27
28 * If a kernel is marked stable in Portage, it means that test dummies
29 have been running it for a while and they survived. It also means
30 no bugs were reported regarding integration with other in-tree
31 packages.
32
33 * Other packages in portage can require certain (versions of) kernels.
34 If you compile your own, Portage doesn't know about it. Easy enough
35 to fix via package.provided, but still a mild headache, especially if
36 we're talking about a large number of machines.
37
38 That's all I got.