From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] latest kernel exploit patch for vmsplice coming?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 08:28:41
1 On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 23:41 +0200, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 > On 10 Feb 2008 at 22:32, Alex Howells wrote:
3 >
4 > > I wasn't sure we needed a special patch?
5 >
6 > it's a kernel bug so it obviously needs a patch, a fix is in the linus
7 > tree now, i guess it'll be backported quickly.
8 >
9 > > Every single box I've tried this exploit on ranging from
10 > > hardened-sources-2.6.17 through to hardened-sources-2.6.23, its been
11 > > nailed. Could just be my kernel configuration?
12 >
13 > UDEREF prevents exploitation for good, even KERNEXEC alone would
14 > prevent the kind of code execution that this exploit relies on.
17 FYI everybody... Look at that.. A properly configured host using PaX the
18 way the PaX Team suggests prevents this and may other types of bugs.
19
20 Anyway for those of you not using PaX the way it's suggested to use
21 (which also happens to be Hardened defaults) then you could/should
22 consider this patch if you have local users which are not trusted.
23 http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=712a30e63c8066ed84385b12edbfb804f49cbc44
24 After patching a user tried >10000 iterations of both exploits and
25 everything appeared to be fine.
26
27 For those of you looking for a quick work around for your production
28 servers and don't/can't reboot just quite yet.. Md of freenode offers
29 this runtime kernel module.
30
31 11:32 < Md> reminder: please do not hurry to reboot your linux servers,
32 http://www.linux.it/~md/software/novmsplice.tgz is a kernel module
33 which disables the system calls used by the exploit
34
35 The current exploit while not appearing to work can result in a DoS
36 The feature uderef catches it... but yesterday a user while in testing
37 executed the exploit many many times. At 943rd execution the system
38 froze.
39
40 We are told that while unfortunately when the bug is triggered, the
41 kernel holds locks and due to uderef catching it, and the kernel will
42 also kill the task. It would do so regardless of uderef if the ptr it
43 dereferences isn't mapped memory.
46 ----------------
47
48 More FYI..
49 Hardened is nearly dead in respects to the
50 hardened-profile/hardened-toolchain/hardened-kernel.
51 It does not have to die but we are in a bit of a catch-22.
52 I'm the last dev really watching over those things. Everybody else has
53 retired and moved on in life. I'm starting to do the same. Weekend and
54 evening hobbies of other interest are starting to take priority. So the
55 catch-22 is that hardened needs more devs+proxies and or to be
56 re-evaluated.. The kicker is that I don't really have the spare time to
57 mentor new people. So... Any of you that want to help this project
58 continue. Please stop by #gentoo-hardened on freenode and offer whatever
59 help you can that fit within your skill traits (self motivated ppl++).
63 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
66 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list