From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Required Priorities (Security) = slow server
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 03:02:34
1 On 08/17/2012 04:19 PM, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
2 > That is exactly what hardened sources package maintainers do.
3 > There's always a tiny time difference between the latest grsecurity patch
4 > showing up on the homepage and the respective kernel ebuild appears.
5
6 I try to get most of upstream's releases into portage so we can test
7 them as ~arch and give upstream feedback. After a while, I see what
8 issues came up in the last "batch" of kernels. I then pick the one that
9 is least problematic.
10
11 Typical upstream cycle goes: 1) introduced new feature, 2) bad breakage,
12 2) still breakage, 3) not so bad, 4) fixed. I try catch it at #4 before
13 they start the cycle all over again.
14
15 Hope this helps to explain my release policy.
19 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
20 Chair of Information Technology
21 D'Youville College
22 Buffalo, NY 14201