From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Technical repercussions of grsecurity removal
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 15:28:38
1 On Mon, 1 May 2017 09:38:43 +0000
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The obvious step is indeed to stop further *current* development on
5 > hardened-sources. I don't know how many additional patchsets are being
6 > implemented in it (blueness? Zorry?) so I don't know if it means that
7 > hardened-sources in total is done with or not.
8
9 All patches in our current patchset
10 (hardened-patches-4.9.24-1.extras.tar.bz2) are grsec-related. Most of
11 them don't even touch the kernel code, but only the Kconfig's. So
12 unless we manage to maintain PaX, we can indeed kiss hardened-sources
13 goodbye.
14
15 By the way: When switching over to gentoo-sources, please note that it
16 applies some patches of its own (the genpatches.extras set, whereas
17 hardened-sources only applies genpatches.base). Historically, this
18 patchset has sometimes contained some weird (and probably totally
19 unaudited) code. Currently it only contains two patches which look
20 mostly safe, but it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on this
21 patchset (or perhaps to use vanilla-sources?).
22
23 Regards,
24 Luis