From: PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] PaX kills Tor due to overflow
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 00:03:14
1 On 22 Aug 2012 at 1:37, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Anthony G. Basile
4 > <basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
5 > > That sounds about right. I'm not hitting this with tor-ramdisk, a tiny
6 > > ramdisk image for running tor relays, built with latest tor + busybox +
7 > > hardened kernel. I have PAX_SIZE_OVERFLOW off. I didn't even try turning
8 > > it on since its still very experimental.
9
10 it's actually getting better, since last week's version the number of
11 false positives should be much reduced.
12
13 > Perhaps the Kconfig description should be more explicit about the
14 > status of this feature (looking at one in 3.4.7 sources now)? When
15 > upgrading to 3.4 hardened-source series, I suspected that this feature
16 > was rather experimental, but couldn't confirm it even after some
17 > thorough searching, so I figured out (maybe wrongly) that it was a
18 > mature work that grsecurity / PaX finally decided to include in their
19 > patches.
20
21 did your thorough search include the grsec mailing list archives? if
22 you google '"size_overflow" pax' then it's like the first hit there ;).