From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Barry Dunn <lists@×××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] cpufreqd-1.1.1 segmentation fault with hardened
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:37:06
1 On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:07, Barry Dunn wrote:
2 > On 20 Jul 2004 15:40:38 -0400
3 > Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 14:45, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
6 > > > > Ok, I've reemerged glibc with debugging and tried again, cheers
7 > > > > (maybe a new doc is called for, Debugging for the Clueless ;)
8 > > >
9 > > > hmm, still no love from gdb/debug symbols, i wonder whether we have
10 > > > a problem with gdb now (i don't get debug info either here with
11 > > > gdb 6.1.1 and a PIE cpufreqd, however it works with a normal
12 > > > executable).
13 > > >
14 > > > anyway, i think the segfault most likely occurs in libdl.so, but
15 > > > i have no idea what exactly is wrong.
18 > > > i suggest that for now you
19 > > > (and gentoo) not compile this package as PIE.
20 > >
21 > > 1.1.2 was released on 2004-03-09
22 > > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=358635
23 > >
24 > > I just added this to portage with use pie && append-flags -fno-pie to
25 > > enable this workaround logic.
28 > Thanks for your help everyone, should I still submit a bug report?
29
30 Sure file one upstream with the guys at sourceforge, but before you do
31 that try USE="-pie" and confirm it fails with 1.1.2 as well. Assuming
32 the bug still exists then please post the sourceforge bug # when you
33 have on so we may follow the progress.
37 > Barry
38 --
39 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
40 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer