From: Roel Vromen <roel@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] new kernel not being able to mount filesystems?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:03:35
1 On Monday 23 May 2005 21:10, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 > > > Does your init have any text relocations in it?
3 > >
4 > > I'm not sure how to interpret this: please forgive my stupidity. I'll try
5 > > to guess:
6 >
7 > text relocations is a feature of executable files (including shared
8 > libraries), and it's something to get rid of (this requires changes
9 > to the given app's build system, or sometimes programming). what you
10 > should do is run 'readelf -d /path/to/binary | grep TEXTREL' on init
11 > itself and all libraries it links in, at least one of them will produce
12 > some output (if you have a recent elfutils then you should use
13 > eu-findtextrel instead).
14
15 Nice to have such knowledgeable people on the board. You were so right!
16
17 shame though, that it seems that just about any program I use has TEXTREL set
18 as a feature. I haven't got a clue why this is all over one system, and
19 nowhere on the other, while emerge system shows the same result.
20
21 Fortunately, if I re-emerge a package, I lose the TEXTREL feature.
22
23 Looks like I'm going for an emerge -e system...
24
25 Thanx,
26
27 Roel