From: Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:48:15
Cliff Rowley wrote:
> Sad Jack wrote: > >> Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to >> install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs >> after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk >> access (CD or Hard drive). >> >> I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets me >> passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete >> install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and says >> to do it manually. > > > Is there some kind of boot or virus protection switched on in your BIOS? > Perhaps something that prevents the boot loader from being > overwritten? Although that doesn't explain the detection weirdness. > > Only thing I can think of, aside from some funky unsupported hardware. > >> I get the feeling that its at the hardware detection stage that is the >> problem as live CD's when booted in failsafe load and work OK. I can't >> find a failsafe option to boot Gentoo, is there one? > > > Hmm interesting. Maybe if you could boot Slackware 10.1 or boot the > livecd's in failsafe and save your dmesg output it might provide some > more insight (maybe). > >
Thanks for the replies. some interesting suggestions there especially about the bios. Can't check it just now as I'm mid way through installing Fedora Core 3 which at least is installing the packages same as Slacware 10.1. Not got to the stage where grub is written yet, so heres fingers crossed that at least I will get some form of linux on this thing. I'll check out the bios as soon as it reboots Cheers -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk>