From: Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:13:32
1 Sad Jack wrote:
2 > Cliff Rowley wrote:
3 >
4 >>Sad Jack wrote:
7 >>>Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to
8 >>>install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs
9 >>>after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk
10 >>>access (CD or Hard drive).
11 >>>
12 >>>I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets me
13 >>>passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete
14 >>>install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and says
15 >>>to do it manually.
18 >>Is there some kind of boot or virus protection switched on in your BIOS?
19 >> Perhaps something that prevents the boot loader from being
20 >>overwritten? Although that doesn't explain the detection weirdness.
21 >>
22 >>Only thing I can think of, aside from some funky unsupported hardware.
25 >>>I get the feeling that its at the hardware detection stage that is the
26 >>>problem as live CD's when booted in failsafe load and work OK. I can't
27 >>>find a failsafe option to boot Gentoo, is there one?
30 >>Hmm interesting. Maybe if you could boot Slackware 10.1 or boot the
31 >>livecd's in failsafe and save your dmesg output it might provide some
32 >>more insight (maybe).
36 > Thanks for the replies.
37 >
38 > some interesting suggestions there especially about the bios. Can't
39 > check it just now as I'm mid way through installing Fedora Core 3 which
40 > at least is installing the packages same as Slacware 10.1. Not got to
41 > the stage where grub is written yet, so heres fingers crossed that at
42 > least I will get some form of linux on this thing.
43 >
44 > I'll check out the bios as soon as it reboots
45 >
46 > Cheers
47
48 OK
49
50 FC 3 is loaded and running. Grub was installed and works fine.
51
52 FC3 has not detected the graphics or the screen correctly and at the
53 moment I am stuck with 800x600 resolution or lower.
54
55 I would suggest at this stage its a hardware detection problem with the
56 other distro and that FC3 is a little more accomodating!
57
58 Its not my preferred install and I'll keep looking for a way to get
59 gentoo so if there are any more suggestions, please keep them coming!
60
61 By the way there is no settings in the bios that cause a problem with
62 writing the bootloader.
63
64 Thanks again
65 --