From: Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo + T40?
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:29:11
Hi Jordi, thanks for your speedy reply :)

Jordi Molina wrote:
> Centrino CPU speed should be handled by a speed governor daemon (have > a look at the ACPI guide at > > Keep in mind that if you want to have battery for more time, it's > normal that this daemon reduces the CPU if its not used, the same > daemon will raise up the speed as soon as the current speed becames > too low (compiling, i.e.)
I should have explained better. I've read the ACPI guide and set Gentoo up accordingly - and under normal usage the temperature is OK. However if I start doing anything stressful, like compiling - that's when I end up creeping towards 80 degrees and possibly beyond (I daren't let it get any hotter). I do a lot of software dev, and a lot of compiling under win32 - but I never encounter this problem. Even if I set the processor to high performance (I use SpeedSwitchXP under Win32), the temperature is always acceptable. I'm scared ;-) -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.11.0 - Release Date: 29/04/2005 -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo + T40? Andrew Randles <ehud42@×××××.com>