From: Will Briggs <will@××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] wireless and service dependencies
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:09:22
david wrote:
> Will Briggs wrote: >> G'day all, >> >> I'm having this problem. During startup both sshd and ntpd are not >> started with a warning: "scheduled to start when net.eth0 is started" >> >> eth0 is my wired network interface, eth1 is my wireless interface. >> >> I rarely used a wired network, often use the wireless network. >> >> This behaviour is fine, to certain extent, because if net.eth0 comes up >> I'd be happy to have sshd and ntpd start. >> >> However, I also want them to start if and when net.eth1 comes up. >> >> I have searched for a dependency setting somewhere but can't find. Can >> anyone point me in the right direction? >> >> Cheers, >> >> W. >> > Did you; > # ln -s net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth1
Yes. (Well, on checking it wasn't /etc/init.d/net.eth1 -> net.lo but /etc/init.d/net.eth1 -> /etc/init.d/net.lo. I've changed that but I suspect it makes no difference having the path in the symlink)
> # rc-update add net.eth1 default >
No - but deliberately. I think this may be where I, or the system is confused. Because unlike a desktop it's not just a matter of bringing up the /etc/init.d/net.* scripts. I don't want DHCP timeouts etc. when booting off-line. net.eth0 is brought up by netplug net.eth1 is brought up by as I understand it, the ipw3945 module being loaded which runs the ipw3945 daemon, which runs wpa_supplicant, which runs the init script (maybe those last two steps are vice versa) So, currently: /etc/init.d/net.eth0 status * status: inactive (which is fine, the wire isn't plugged in) /etc/init.d/net.eth1 status * status: started which is fine, but I want sshd and ntpd to have recognised this In the end I want the services brought up when either or both of net.eth0 or net.eth1 are started (by cables being plugged in or wireless networks coming up etc.) Thanks for the response, W. -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-laptop] wireless and service dependencies Mike Benson <mike@×××××××××.au>