From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-licenses@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-licenses] What are our criteria for mirror restriction?
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 22:49:19
1 On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:24:31PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > What are our exact criteria for a distfile to be mirror restricted?
3 > Apart from redistribution being allowed, I've used the following
4 > criteria from the BINARY-REDISTRIBUTABLE license group as guidelines:
5 >
6 > - MUST NOT require explicit approval (No items from @EULA)
7 > - MUST NOT restrict the cost of redistribution
8 >
9 > The second one was recently criticised in #gentoo-proxy-maint, with
10 > respect to games-action/mutantstorm-demo. Its license says:
11 >
12 > "You are specifically prohibited from charging, or requesting
13 > donations, for any such copies, however made; and from distributing
14 > the software and/or documentation with other products (commercial
15 > or therwise) without prior written permission."
16 >
17 > Do we need mirror restriction for that one?
18 Yes, that would need RESTRICT=mirror under those guidelines.
19
20 The most common case for 'restrict cost of redistribution', is somebody
21 that might ship DVD with distfiles (circa 2004 we even had DVDs of pure
22 distfiles in the Cafepress store, double-sided single-layer DVDs,
23 ~8GiB/disk). The 2001-2005 releases had distfiles on official DVD
24 releases in some cases too.
25
26 There was also a second case I saw:
27 I don't recall the name of the company now, but there was a company that
28 offered a 'supported' Gentoo, that you paid for, and one of the pieces
29 was setting GENTOO_MIRRORS to their hosts, which was a maintained set of
30 distfiles to match their rsync tree. Those distfiles were a superset of
31 the main distfiles we distribute (longer retention, extra files).
32
33 I do however see a way forward:
34 1. Add an additional restriction to flag distfiles with license clauses
35 as above: RESTRICT='mirror-nocost'
36 2. DOCUMENT that any consumers of the distfiles for use cases such as
37 the above need to exclude distfiles by the above restriction.
40 Robin Hugh Johnson
41 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
42 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
43 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
44 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136