From: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:21:44
1 On 2/9/07, J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I've seen the old driver patch you refer to floating around out there.
4 > After I've done my USB and firewire experiments, I wouldn't mind taking a
5 > look at this to see how bad it is. An SGI without sound is kind of like a
6 > car without wheels....
9 > Over all, I've been quite impressed. Most things that I try seem to be
10 > generally working. I've already succeeded in building the box up as a
11 > general desktop system. X11, WindowMaker, transparent Xterms, NLS, DDD,
12 > gvim, GIMP, Firefox 2.0, QT, openGL (some GL works, some crash the X
13 > server), XFIG, gv (pdf and ps viewer), xv, gtk, imagemagik, tetex,
14 > ghostscript, etc...
15 >
16 > I've also done some work to verify IPv6. The kernel module loads, the
17 > machine auto addresses, and the 6-to-4 driver loads. I still need to
18 > rebuild some userland with USE=ipv6 to fully check it out, but I'm not
19 > expecting any surprises at this point.
20 >
21 > The PPTP and PPP-MPPE vpn support is working. I've spent entire days
22 > plugged into my work VPN during my work from home days using the O2 as an
23 > X console and VPN access node. No surprises here.
24 >
25 > The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS. In work life, I've been
26 > doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now. I first tried it
27 > with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago. And
28 > under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally well
29 > performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple weeks -
30 > no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid. I know people on
31 > non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it a lot and
32 > have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that made it
33 > unacceptable. There's a lot in terms of performance and features to
34 > recommend this file system - assuming stability of course. :) It's
35 > definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new non-intel box.
36
37 Be careful. I tried to use JFS on some sparc boxes, and ran into some
38 subtle bugs that no one seemed to be able to solve that led to
39 filesystem corruption: things like disappearing/reappearing files and
40 directories. On the other hand I've had no problems with JFS on AMD64
41 or x86.
42
43 Alex
47 > Cheers,