From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:42:04
I've seen the old driver patch you refer to floating around out there.
After I've done my USB and firewire experiments, I wouldn't mind taking a
look at this to see how bad it is.  An SGI without sound is kind of like a
car without wheels....

Over all, I've been quite impressed.  Most things that I try seem to be
generally working.  I've already succeeded in building the box up as a
general desktop system.  X11, WindowMaker, transparent Xterms, NLS, DDD,
gvim, GIMP, Firefox 2.0, QT, openGL (some GL works, some crash the X
server), XFIG, gv (pdf and ps viewer), xv, gtk, imagemagik, tetex,
ghostscript, etc...

I've also done some work to verify IPv6.  The kernel module loads, the
machine auto addresses, and the 6-to-4 driver loads.  I still need to
rebuild some userland with USE=ipv6 to fully check it out, but I'm not
expecting any surprises at this point.

The PPTP and PPP-MPPE vpn support is working.  I've spent entire days
plugged into my work VPN during my work from home days using the O2 as an
X console and VPN access node.  No surprises here.

The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS.  In work life, I've been
doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now.  I first tried it
with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago.  And
under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally well
performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple weeks -
no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid.  I know people on
non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it a lot and
have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that made it
unacceptable.  There's a lot in terms of performance and features to
recommend this file system - assuming stability of course.  :)  It's
definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new non-intel box.

-- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list